If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet . Where Excellence Meets Purpose
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Senior Administrative Assistant performs both technical and complex administrative projects, as well as general clerical work, in support of the day-to-day operations of the assigned unit. Additionally, the incumbent applies independent judgment in the completion of assignments, which include data compilation and analysis, development and preparation of unit and project budgets, and monitoring of unit expenses. He/she may act as a lead to lower level administrative staff assigned to the unit.CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Requests updated physician calendars , composes correspondence, orders office supplies, prepares financial forms, answers telephones, takes messages, transfers calls, greets visitors, answers routine questions, and directs visitors according to their needs. Completes special assignments requiring the collection, organization, and analysis of data which may be the basis for significant decisions. Provides advice regarding budget projects, and monitors the unit's work expenses. Assists to prepare summary financial reports and statistical information related to work unit's budget, accounts, activities, program clientele, and operations. Assists to plan and organize the activities and operations of the unit to include staffing and assignments. Establishes and implements work unit procedures, and ensures completed work products meet required timelines and standards of quality and quantity. Resolves unique situations where each contact must be handled differently using judgment and discretion. Adheres to University and unit-level policies, procedures, and safeguards University assets. Collaborates with patient advisor/concierge to maintain excellent customer experience This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary. CORE QUALIFICATIONS Education:
High School diploma or equivalent, Bachelor's degree preferredCertification and Licensing:
Minimum 4 years of experienceKnowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
Department Specific FunctionsAdministrative Assistant (80%)
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Skill in data entry with minimal errors.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Commitment to the University's core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
- Serves as back up Department Payroll processor, including processing/closing payroll, troubleshooting payroll issues with staff and Payroll Department as needed. Prepares lateness and absent reports when requested. Performs other duties as assigned.
Patient Representative (20%)
- Serves as a back-up information resource regarding Department and program policies, procedures, and operational functions.
- Procures, maintains, and distributes office supplies and equipment, ensuring machine functionality.
- Serves as a back up to prepare financial forms (IDRs, BEFs, POs, work orders, reimbursements for department).
- Ensures completed work products meet required timelines and standards of quality and quantity.
- Assist with setting up A/V equipment and conference calls as indicated by Nursing Director.
- Assists the charge nurse in the daily workflow of the ambulatory surgical patient by properly placing patient status via tracking board.
- Assists at the greeter desk by registering patients and family information.
- Greets patients and visitors, explains the surgery process and tracking board, answers routine questions, maintains amenities during surgery wait time, retrieves, escort patients from waiting room to patient care room, and directs visitors according to their needs.
- Assists the nurses by communicating with families approximate discharge time as designated by the nurses and updating contact information.
- Assists placing calls to patients informing of next day arrival time to surgery.
- Communicates patient/visitor concerns to unit director or charge RN.
- Participates in preoperative and postoperative patient rounding.
- Facilitates intra-unit information exchange among OR, Ambulatory Surgery Unit and 5th Floor Inpatient Unit (\"Units\") and participates in performance improvement activities.
- Enters facility and Biomed work order requisitions and maintains tracking tool.
- Assists charge nurse and nurses by providing patients and families with approximate wait time, updates to procedures and track board information.
- Assists physicians and interdisciplinary team regarding family member information and location.
- Collaborates with surgery to obtain current information to report to the ambulatory team.
- Serves as a liaison between departments to be able to maintain excellent patient and customer experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Obtains hand off report from patient representative for afterhours rounding.
- Compiles patient experience information and is able to articulate results.
- Works closely with patient experience /concierge to anticipate patient/family needs.
- Participates in preoperative and postoperative patient rounding.
- Proficiency in written and verbal communications. Fluent bilingual competency in English and Spanish
- Ability to communicate well with physicians and other professionals
- Ability to work under a high level of stress with time constrains while maintaining composure and sensitivity to each patient's individual situation
- Knowledge of routine office practices and procedures
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type: